all around gunma
Did you know...?
GTIA Traveling Living

Income Tax & Tax Return

All income earners in Japan, residents and non-residents alike, are required to pay income tax, which is a national tax. As the filing of income tax return starts in two weeks, this month’s topic is income tax and tax returns. Your 2011 income tax will be levied on your earnings from January 1 to December 31, i.e. the amount of your total earnings minus deductions from income and multiplied by the appropriate tax rate.

The period for receiving filing assistance from the tax office is from Thursday, February 16 to Thursday, March 15, 2012. For specific time, date, and venue of filing your tax return, please ask your nearest tax office (PDF/18KB). They are closed on weekends, but on Feb. 19(Sun.) and 26(Sun.), tax filing venues (not the tax offices) in Maebashi and Takasaki will be open for both filing and receiving assistance. You can also file your tax return from your PC at home by e-Tax.

Income tax is calculated and paid by employers by way of withholding income tax from employees’ monthly pay and bonuses and then filing a year-end adjustment. Any deficits that resulted from withholding an earner’s income tax after deductions for the year will be refunded.

All employed residents are required to file a tax return if any of the followings apply:

Tax Refunds Available by Filing

Even when a person is not legally required to file a final return, if a person has overpaid as a result of taxes withheld at the source or through the prepayment of estimated taxes, a tax refund can be claimed by filing a return for the sake of a refund (refund returns). Because such refund returns can be filed prior to February 16, it is recommended that these returns be filed as early as possible. The following persons are advised to see if they are qualified for refund return.

Note that owners of a private business such as independent enterprises of commerce, industry, fisheries, agriculture, and independent personal services, etc. are also required to file a tax return.

Here are some useful website addresses in English and Japanese.

National Tax Agency (Kokuzeicho)

FY2012 Tax Reform (Main Points) by Ministry of Finance (PDF/56KB)

Comprehensive Handbook of Japanese Taxes 2010(Latest Edition) by Ministry of Finance

(Effective January 2012)

Top Page