all around gunma
Did you know...?
GTIA Traveling Living

Automobile Tax (Jidosha Zei)

Who is responsible for paying?

Anyone who owns a vehicle on the 1st of April must pay an automobile tax. The registered vehicle owner on the automobile certificate needs to pay the tax for the new fiscal year. Anyone who owns a light automobile (Kei-Jidosha) is responsible for paying a light automobile tax. For more information, please contact your local Prefectual Tax Office or Automobile Tax Collection Office.

You are still responsible for the automobile tax in the cases below...

1. An individual who sold or gave his/her vehicle to someone before March and has not changed the vehicle’s ownership to the new owner is liable for tax payment for the new fiscal year.
2. An individual who disposed of a vehicle before March but has not changed the ownership of the disposed vehicle or has not canceled regstration of the vehicle at the Transport Branch Office.
3. An individual who changed his/ her car registration (within or outside of Gunma) after April 1st.
4. An individual who owns a vehicle with an invalid Automobile Inspection Certificate (Sha-ken車検) and has not canceled registration of the vehicle.

If you dispose of your vehicle in the middle of a fiscal year...

An individual who disposes of his/her vehicle in the middle of the fiscal year and has not only paid the vehicle tax for the year, but has also canceled vehicle registration is entitled to a refund corresponding to the amount overpaid (from the following month of the date of registration cancelation till the end of the fiscal year.)

How much do I pay?

The yearly sum of vehicle tax is determined by factors such as the type, engine size, etc.

Enzine Sizes Annual Tax
4 or 2 door Sedan 1.000 cc or less 29,000 yen
1.001 cc ~ 1.500 cc 34,500 yen
1.501 cc ~ 2.000 cc 39,500 yen
2.001 cc ~ 2.500 cc 45,000 yen
2.501 cc ~ 3.000 cc 51,000 yen
3.001 cc ~ 3.500 cc 58,000 yen
3.501 cc ~ 4.000 cc 66,500 yen
4.001 cc ~ 4.500 cc 76,500 yen
4.501 cc ~ 6.000 cc 88,000 yen
6.000 cc ~ 111,000 yen

How and When do I pay it?

The tax notice is sent to all vehicle owners in the middle of May and must be paid by the end of the same month at banks, post offices, convenience stores, your Prefectural Tax Office or the Automobile Tax Collection Office. If the 31st is on a weekend, the payment will be accepeted untill the following Monday.

For more information, please contact your local Prefectural Tax Office or the Automobile Tax Collection Office.

(Effective April 2011)

Top Page